Monday, November 21, 2011

A servant's heart

While reading about love I continually come across the fact that you can't have love without having a servant's heart. This may sound a little wacky, let me try to explain.
About a week ago someone posted on facebook that God had never done anything for her. This upset me at first because I knew it was wrong but I had to figure out how to word it first. Here's what I came up with. God definitely did something for us, Jesus didn't die on the cross for fun. He calls us to have a relationship with Him and from what I know about relationships, they're two sided. A relationship where one person is constantly giving and the other is receiving won't last. We ask God for things so often, but how much are we giving back? A relationship is give and take, not simply receive. Since we have this in a relationship perspective, how do you give to someone in a relationship? Do you give with a resentful heart? Do you give expecting more back? Do you give because you 'have' to? We are called to give out of our love for God. This requires a servant's heart.
I think its important to define the difference between a servant and a slave. A servant serves because they want to, a slave serves because they have to.
Having this information, I know I need to live a life serving God out of my love for Him, because He first loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment